Saturday, February 2, 2013

What's behind the smile

My life long friend Doug Yates, 2012 went through a journey of Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML).
He has expressed many times that he was afraid of the unknown and what happens when Nadir occurs.
Doug plowed through many uncomfortable times, with the support of his steadfast wife Mendy. Today Doug stands tall, in complete remission, and is a missionary for others to understand their place in fighting cancer. I am sincerely grateful for Doug and the many suggestions he has made for me to face the very near future of chemotherapy.

Settling with the thoughts of chemo for awhile. 5FU will be given in pill form 3/day for three weeks then off a week. Blood work performed once a week, because low blood counts are expected with Nadir around 9-14 days and full recovery 21-28 days.

This drug has a myriad of Side effects, many do not get them but about 30% do.

  • Mucositis
  • Hairloss
  • Nail changes
  • Hand-foot syndrome, red burning feet and hands.
  • Fever
  • Nausea/vomiting
Im not spelling things out for the gory details but only to let me see the potential reality of this medication.

I am reminded of the cry David had when facing Goliath--"The battle is the Lords" What a relief!
Even if my own resources were exhausted, the Lords would not be. My strength might be zapped but the Lord could still move mountains. Everything could be changing around me, but He will always be my rock.

Sincerely
Bo Morris

2 comments:

  1. Dr Morris, sorry you are having to go thru this. you are in my thoughts & prayers.
    Ruth Pasley

    ReplyDelete